TEN RANDOM FACTS ABOUT ME
1. My first job was building and testing Atari game systems in my parents’ garage. I was eleven. They looked like this:
2. I love it when it rains. (shh… don’t tell anyone or they’ll kick me out of California)
3. In high school, I worked at Taco Bell where learned how to shoot a sour cream gun with near-perfect precision (at my co-workers, not at the food).
4. In the ’90s, I worked with Apple. I led the PR team that launched the first iMac. And I got to meet with Steve Jobs every week. But working on the Think Different campaign team and being in the room when this incredible ad was created, was the most memorable, life-changing experience. It taught me to appreciate “the crazy ones”… and made me realize that I am one.
5. I adore a good love story (especially a first-love story), but I’m not much of a romantic.
6. I listen to music while I work. Whenever song lyrics speak to me, I write them down in a notebook that always sits on my desk.
7. I saw the original Star Wars movie thirty-two times—in the theater. When my dad and I arrived for #20, they let us in free.
8. All my books have one thing in common: My female lead characters save themselves in the end. Always.
9. We moved a lot when I was growing up. I was “the new kid” eight times (and I still never figured out how to be the cool new kid).
10. I’ve been collecting the Post-it’s from my book signings ever since the first one in 2012. I love knowing that I’ve met all these readers. And if I ever need a character name, I just reach into the bowl…
TAMARA IRELAND STONE spent nearly two decades in the technology industry before she began writing fiction. She loved her first career but finds writing for kids and teens especially rewarding.
Her New York Times bestseller EVERY LAST WORD won the Cybils Young Adult Fiction Award and the Georgia Peach Book Award, and was shortlisted for the Northern California Book Award. LITTLE DO WE KNOW won the NCIBA Golden Poppy Award for Young Adult Fiction, and her debut novel TIME BETWEEN US has been published in over twenty languages. CLICK’D, the first book in her middle-grade series, is a Sunshine State Young Readers Award pick, a Kids’ Indie Next pick, a Truman Award Nominee, and an NCIBA Golden Poppy nominee.
Tamara lives in the San Francisco Bay Area and is a proud nerd, vinyl collector, and movie lover.
Visit her online at www.TamaraIrelandStone.com.
AWARDS & ACCOLADES
New York Times Best Seller (EVERY LAST WORD)
Northern California Golden Poppy Book Awards Winner (LITTLE DO WE KNOW)
Northern California Book Award Shortlist (EVERY LAST WORD)
Goodreads Choice Awards Best Young Adult Fiction Semifinalist (EVERY LAST WORD)
Deutscher Jugendliteraturpreis/German Children’s Literature Award Shortlist (EVERY LAST WORD)
Buxtehuder Bulle German Youth Literature Award Winner (EVERY LAST WORD)
Cybils Awards Winner, Young Adult Fiction (EVERY LAST WORD)
Cybils Awards Nominee, Middle Grade Fiction (CLICK’D)
YALSA Teens’ Top Ten Winner
South Carolina Young Adult Book Award Nominee (EVERY LAST WORD)
Florida Teen Reads Nominee (EVERY LAST WORD)
Sunshine State Young Readers Award Nominee (CLICK’D)
Georgia Peach Book Award for Teen Readers Nominee (EVERY LAST WORD)
Truman Awards Nominee (CLICK’D)
Nutmeg Book Award Nominee (CLICK’D)
Black-eyed Susan Award Nominee (CLICK’D)
Two-time Kids’ Indie Next Pick
INTERVIEWS & ESSAYS
INTERVIEW | Cybils Awards | On Inspirations, Writing, and Mental Health in YA Literature
INTERVIEW | School Library Journal | #MHYALit: Author Tamara Ireland Stone Interviews a Teen Called C about OCD
ESSAY | Justine Magazine | I was a bully and a bullying survivor
INTERVIEW | Gone with the Words | An interview with the 16-year-old who inspired Every Last Word
ESSAY | Salon.com | The Awe-inspiring Power of a Mind that Works Differently
INTERVIEW | Forever Young Adult | An Inspiring Mind: On Writing a Positive Character with OCD
INTERVIEW | Mom Advice | Sundays with Writers: Every Last Word by Tamara Ireland Stone
INTERVIEW | ReachOut | Living with a mental health challenge can sometimes mean living with a secret
INTERVIEW | Justine Magazine | On inspiration, the power of music, and working with Steve Jobs
INTERVIEW | Publishers Weekly | Publishers Weekly’s PW KidsCast: A Conversation with Tamara Ireland Stone
INTERVIEW (VIDEO) | Channel 3 News, Memphis | Live interview with the Girls Gone Sci-fi Tour